State Bar of Montana's
Federal Practice Section
The Federal Practice Section of the State Bar of Montana is comprised of members whose practices or personal interests include federal law. The primary goal of the section is to provide information and support for its members.
The Section provides:
- CLE programs for the benefit of members;
- Financial support for and communication with the Lawyer Representatives to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, and is a liaison with the Federal bench;
- Educational and training assistance for law students;
How to Join
Any member of the State Bar of Montana or any faculty of the School of Law at the University of Montana may join. Section dues are $20 per year. Become a member HERE.
Items of Interest
1) The Section is managed by a Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, and three Directors. The Vice Chairperson automatically succeeds the Chairperson.
2) The Chair and Vice Chair serve two-year terms.
3) The Directors are appointed by the Chair and Vice Chair and serve staggered three-year terms.
4) At the end of the Chair's term of office, the Chair continues on the Board as Past-Chair for an additional term of one year.
5) By majority vote of the Board, the term of office of any member of the Board, including the Chair or Vice Chair, may be extended for one additional term.
6) The Directors shall include a representative of the University of Montana School of Law, a representative for the Federal Courts, and a member-at-large.
7) The Board meets at least twice a year; minutes of meetings are maintained by the Vice Chair, acting as secretary of the Board.
8) Decisions are made by majority vote of the Board; the Chair will vote only when necessary to break a tie vote of the remainder of the Board.
Lori A. Harper Suek
John C. Heenan
Law School Contact
Board of Trustee Liaison
Lawyer Representatives to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference
Lawyer Representatives to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference are appointed by the Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Montana. The Federal Practice Section provides financial support up to $1,000 annually for actual expenses incurred by each Lawyer Representative (except the Representative of the Bankruptcy Court, who is supported by the Bankruptcy Section of the State Bar) who attends the Judicial Conference and who agrees to participate with the Federal Practice Section to inform its members about issues addressed during the conference.
Term ends: 2014
Term ends: 2014
Term ends: 2015
Term ends: 2016